Buy your full driving licence Buy full UK driving licence. You can apply for your full driving licence without passing your practical driving test and theory test.


Impact of Brexit on driving abroad

The UK is no longer part of the EU.

We’re now in a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU carry out negotiations.

Until then, the current rules for driving abroad won’t change.

If you travel before 29 March 2019, you can use your UK driving licence to drive within the EU/EEA. If you drive outside of these countries, or are travelling after the UK leaves the EU, you’ll need an International driving permit (IDP).

It costs £600 and you can buy it from the Post Office. You have to be over 18 and have to have a full driving licence to be able to have an IDP.Although the minimum age for driving a car in the UK is 17, other countries may have their own rules so it’s worth checking. ORDER YOUR EU DRIVING LICENCE ONLINE

Getting insured to drive abroad

To drive in another country, you need to make sure your insurance covers you outside the UK.

So before leaving, let your insurer know that you’re travelling overseas, and check if your existing policy covers you.Your insurer should give you a Green Card if you’re driving in Europe which will act as proof of your European cover. If not, ask for it – the card itself is free.

If your insurer doesn’t extend your policy, you might be able to add European cover as an optional extra, which usually covers you for up to 30 days.

Don’t forget to check the small print for any exclusions on your policy, as some will put a cap on the number of days you’re fully insured while in Europe.

Checklist for driving abroad

You can never be over-prepared, so get equipped before your trip.

Create a travel pack containing all the documents you’ll need:

  • full driving licence
  • car registration document (V5)
  • insurance documents
  • authorisation letter if it’s a company car
  • breakdown policy documents
  • travel insurance documents
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The following kit and equipment is also recommended:

  • first-aid kit
  • tool kit
  • red warning triangle
  • reflective jacket
  • torch
  • fire extinguisher